Sunday, January 08, 2012

Renato Carosone

I love old songs with humour. That's why I prefer The Kinks over The Beatles because The Kinks' songs are a lot wittier and are full of humour.

And I just spent hours listening to Renato Carosone, an Italian singer from the 50's famous for the song Tu Vuo Fa' L'Americano. If you've seen The Talented Mr. Ripley, you would remember this extremely infectious Neapolitan tune Jude Law sang in the bar the first time he went for a night out with Matt Damon. With my lousy Italian I can tell that the song is about a man who badly wants to pass himself off as an American and becomes the laughing stock of the town.

And all his other songs are just as funny. All of his songs are in Neapolitan, but you don't have to speak the language to enjoy them. Such is the beauty of music.

It reminds me of the first time I heard the song Viva La Mamma by Eduardo Bennato. I didn't understand a thing but I played it over and over during an entire weekend and ended up knowing the words by heart.


No comments: